Job Description: Supervisor: Executive Director
Results Statement: The primary responsibility of this position will be to develop and implement the organization's short- and long-term fundraising plans in order to ensure that adequate funds are available to carry out Operation Shoestring’s work. The Development Director will represent effectively the organization to donors, prospects and the public and while continually seeking out new opportunities and avenues for support.
Strategic Work Listing:
● Plan, structure, implement and monitor an effective development program to increase the current and permanent assets of the organization, to include semi-annual fund appeals and other appeals, as needed.
● Develop a planned giving program.
● Secure major grants and gifts from individuals, corporations, foundations, and other private funding sources.
● Supervise and train employees and volunteers, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
● Conduct research, gather data, analyze information, and prepare effective, accurate, and timely reports and other documents to support development objectives.
● Develop and implement event-related fundraising plans
● Strategize with the board, executive director, programs director and program leadership staff to position all development activities related to the board and programming.
● Strategize with the communications director to execute development activities related to external communications efforts.
● Develop new sources of funding, especially major donors, as well as secure multi-year funding sources to ensure Operation Shoestring’s long-term sustainability.
● Work to move existing donors to the next level of involvement.
● Assume responsibility for certain aspects of budget management and financial reporting for development, both internally and to the board of directors.
Tactical Work Listing:
● Provide leadership and management of the database for internal tracking systems and for the development and maintenance of prospect records for mailings, solicitations, etc. including segmenting entries for targeting purposes.
● Foster and maintain relationship with donors and volunteers, both individuals and organizations.
● Solicit prospects and donors for annual gifts.
● Assist in developing and reviewing fundraising copy used such as annual appeal letters.
● Maintain sponsor and donor lists for website content.
● Assist executive director and Capital Campaign Committee plan and execute a successful capital campaign.
● Write proposals continually for submission to new corporate and foundation donors.
● Provide regular reports and updates to the executive director and board of directors as requested.
● Possess knowledge of most disciplines of fund development.
● Self-starter, and able to manage tasks and work independently without close daily supervision.
● Possess exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to present effectively to small and large groups.
● Possess exceptional written and oral communications skills.
● Exercise good judgment to demonstrate an understanding of ethics related to development activities and to use discretion in interactions with donors, prospects, volunteers, service recipients, coworkers and others.
● Possess organizational skills and experience in managing events and other complex activities in support of development objective.
● Possess experience using data management software for business growth and development.
● Minimum qualifications required include a bachelor’s degree; hiring preference is given to a candidate with additional desired qualifications and advanced achievement such as an MBA degree.
● Prior work experience in professional fundraising and major donor solicitation, including grant-writing, is required; experience within the nonprofit sector is preferred; experience with building legislative/government relationships is a plus.
● Must have reliable transportation, liability insurance for personal vehicle and valid driver’s license. Limited travel may be required.
Posted September 27, 2018
How to Apply
To apply and more information please go here: https://operationshoestring.org/what-we-do/employment/
Job Description: Mississippi Today is seeking a Business Manager to join our staff based in Jackson, MS. Launched in 2016, we are the state’s only nonprofit newsroom with one of the largest editorial teams in the region. Mississippi Today is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Job Description and Qualifications:
• This position will work directly with the Executive Director and Editor in Chief on a variety of projects.
• Develop and lead finance processes, including payroll, expenses, deposits, accounts payable/receivable, donor tax substantiation letters, and other financial items as needed.
• Monitor bank accounts, conduct month-end closing procedures and reconcile bank statements.
• Lead liaison with accounting firm on annual audit and 990 filings.
• Manage Fixed Asset Listing to show depreciation/amortization being booked
• Lead onboarding process for new hires, including management of insurance, direct deposit, IRA, etc.
• Manage finance reports for grant and foundation funding
• Lead development of standard forms, employee handbook, code of conduct, and other policies and procedures as needed.
• Handle day-to-day administrative needs, tech liaison, assist with employee questions, etc.
• Assist with various donor communications and mailings such as welcome packets, email blasts, thank you notes, assistance around public events, etc.
• Assist with coordination and planning of public events throughout the state as lead with vendor billing, event insurance, contractor payment, etc.
• College degree with an accounting or finance background; CPA preferred.
• Proficient in QuickBooks, Microsoft Office Word and Excel.
What You’ll Get:
• The opportunity to work alongside award-winning journalists and make significant contributions to Mississippi’s FIRST nonprofit, nonpartisan digital news and information source.
• Competitive salary and benefits package.
• To work in a culture with passionate, creative, diverse and dedicated teammates to create and grow the organization.
We have a modern office environment with plenty of natural light with an office-wide view of a beautiful wooded area
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2018
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Business Manager in the subject line.